Wanna work at a bookstore? Well, kid, it’s your lucky day! The Concordia Community Solidarity Co-op Bookstore (aka Co-op Bookstore) is currently looking for a Finance and Administrative Coordinator, so if you’ve got the skills to pay the bills, have a look at the requirements for the position below (which has been cut ‘n’ pasted from the job posting on the Co-op’s Facebook page, in its entirety):
Financial and Administrative Coordinator / Coordonnatrice-eur financière et administrative
The Concordia Community Solidarity Co-op Bookstore is currently hiring a Financial and Administrative Coordinator. / La Librairie coopérative de solidaritéde l’Université Concordia est à la recherche d’un-e Coordonnatrice-eur financière et administrative.
The Concordia Community Solidarity Co-op Bookstore is pleased to offer a viable alternative to the corporate structure, putting students’ best interests above and beyond our own bottom line. As a not-for-profit alternative to corporate bookstores, we are conveniently located right on Concordia’s downtown campus at 2150 Bishop. Offering both new and used books, in addition to a wide variety of artisan consignment, we also boast the largest selection of sex and gender studies titles anywhere in Montreal.
Tasks and Responsibilities
- Organizing and maintaining all financial documents
- Liaising with Co-op’s co-coordinator on the daily operations of the store
- Administrating publisher accounts
- Overseeing monthly and annual budgets
- Reporting monthly to the Board of Directors & acting as a resource person on financial and administrative matters
- Liaising with the Co-op’s accountant
- Ensuring that receipt trails and paper trails are organized and in order
- Communicating with federal and provincial governments regarding financial and administrative matters, including submitting government declarations and remittances
- Overseeing operations of the Concordia University internal Banner account
- Researching and preparing proposals to update our bookkeeping systems
- Liaising with Concordia administrative bodies and services
- Liaising with the Concordia community and the community-at-large
- Maintaining and developing office systems with other staff including archiving, filing, computer and communication systems
- Ensuring the upkeep of the office, order and organize supplies with other staff
- Working with other staff and Board to maintain a clean, organized and welcoming space
- Making adjustments to the budget in accordance with Board decisions
- Liaising with Co-op’s co-coordinator on seasonal and general book orders and ongoing publisher relations
- Making month-end adjustments, including inventory adjustments
- Reconciling accounts
- Completing and presenting month-end financial reports to the Board
- Coordinating year-end inventory
- Completing all year-end adjustments
- Completing year-end transactions and reports
- Preparing year-end for auditor
- Liaising with auditor
- Presenting our year end financial report at our Annual General Meeting (held in November)
- Interpret and make recommendations regarding the auditor’s report to the Board and at our Annual General Meeting
Job Requirements and Assets:
- Experience in finance within Non-Profits and/or Not-for-Profits
- Understanding of bookkeeping in a retail (inventory and sales-based) context
- Excellent time management skills, self-motivation and self-direction
- Knowledge of MYOB or similar accounting software
- Ability to work with a computer (PC and Mac), proficiency in Word, Excel, and File Maker Pro
- Bilingualism (French and English, spoken and written)
- Strong communication skills
- Ability to problem solve
- Ability to work under pressure
- Ability to work in a chaotic environment
- Interest in community-based groups and non-corporate, self-managed environments and principles is an asset
- Experience in a bookstore is an asset
- Experience in community outreach, marketing or external relations an asset
Deadline to apply is Friday, September 25th, 2009 at 6 p.m.
Interviews will be held from September 29th to October 1st 2009.
Please note that only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
The position is set to begin on Friday, October 12th, 2009, and it is a one-year renewable contract. Candidates must be available 10am-4pm Monday to Friday (30 hrs per week), including some occasional evening and weekend work. The position includes two weeks of paid vacation.
The ideal candidate is eligible for an Emploi Quebec salary subvention program.
The Co-op Bookstore has a commitment to employment equity in our hiring practices. We encourage applicants to describe the unique contributions they, as individuals with diverse experiences, would bring to the Co-op in their cover letter or resume. Please indicate clearly in your cover letter that you would like to be considered for Employment Equity.
Please submit your CV and cover letter by Friday, September 25th, 2009 at 6 p.m. Unfortunately applications without a cover letter will not be considered!
By email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Subject line: “FA Coordinator Hiring Committee”
By Mail or in Person:
For more information you can contact us at 514-848-7445 or email us at email@example.com.
Please feel free to circulate this posting to any job-hunters you may know!